This is really in no specific order but I would like to give #1 a tie to both Alayna and my beautiful wife Maria.
1. Our little miracle Alayna - Just typing this on my blog gives me goose bumps. To think of how far we have come to have our miracle in our life it is just unbelievable. She is the BEST thing that has ever happened to me minus Maria of course. Every time I hold Alayna I just feel so blessed to have her in our life. I cannot imagine life without her!!!
2. My wife Maria – Maria is my soulmate and I believe that when god created her she was created to be my partner in life. We have been through a lot in life together and she is not only my wife but my best friend. There is no better person in this life to have by my side than her. She understands me, she even thinks like me and best of all she cares more about me than anything in this world minus Alayna :) Through this past year she has shown me that no matter what happens in life we will get through anything. Going through IVF and the PGD process it has brought us even closer in our relationship. Maria, I am so blessed and thankful to have you in my life. I LOVE YOU!!
3. Family – Maria and I both value our bonds with our family. We live very close to all of our family which makes it easier to get together for holidays and birthdays. The holidays are meant to be spent with the ones you love and we love our family. They have been there for us through everything we are very blessed and thankful to have them in our life. Also, today is a day where we can reflect on the memories that were made with the family members who have passed away.
4. CF Clinic - I feel that I have one of the best doctor’s that anyone could ever ask for. He is so dedicated to his practice and you can just tell how much he loves his patients and his commitment to cystic fibrosis. To be honest, if it wasn’t for him and the nurses I do not think I would be as healthy as I am today. I will always remember that the day that I was diagnosed with CF, my father was determined to find the best doctor in our area and I know he found him. Thanks again dad and I will never forget that!!!
5. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation - I think all of us fibros and cysters are thankful for the foundation. They have added many tomorrows to our lives. Just think of how far we have come through all the fundraising events that they do. I cannot thank you enough if you have ever donated to the cystic fibrosis foundation. They have been instrumental in funding the work that is being done at Vertex Pharmaceuticals. With the drug Kalyedco approved it is only going to be a few years I am hoping till they have something to the market that will help many other fibros and cysters. If anyone is wondering what Kalyedco is please read this http://www.cff.org/treatments/Therapies/Kalydeco/
6. IVF/PGD - If it wasn’t for this amazing technology we would not have had our miracle Alayna. We are so blessed to have access to such a great opportunity. Thank you god for creating these wonderful doctors, nurses, scientist who work every day creating miracles for couples. The work that you do does not ever go unnoticed. Thank you again and again from the bottom of my heart.
7. Cysters and Fibros having children – Yes, I am so thankful for my fellow cysters and fibros who are expecting children in the near future!!! Speaking from experience it is more than a blessing to receive the gift of a child. These people I could not be more happier for as the first two couples have went through IVF just like Maria and I did Jeremy and Monica Parks and Megan and David Murray. A cyster that I know is also going to experience the greatest gift as well Cindy Baldwin. Also, for those of us cysters and fibros that have children I could not be more thankful to know you Inhaling Hope and Ronnie Sharpe. Just think we are defying the odds everyday!!!!!
8. Organ Donors - I am very blessed to be an organ donor and I am thankful that people are willing to live on through others by donating their organs. In fact recently, while I was attending my grandfather’s funeral I was informed that he donated his corneas to an individual who is blind. What an act of kindness grandpa!!! Also, I know of cysters and fibros who have been saved by lung transplants who are getting a second chance at life to be with their loved ones!! It is just amazing that we have the opportunity to benefit from organ donors and also help other families if we are organ donors are selves. I want to mention a cyster who has been listed on the transplant list for the second time. Yes, she received her gift of lungs a few years ago but is now in very poor health and needs another set of lungs. I am praying for her husband and children. If you haven’t read her story please take a moment to it is very touching on how much this family has endeavored. The blog is called Confessions of A CF Husband.
9. Airway Clearance and HTS - Just think where we would be without our airway clearance devices we have today. For me it has made a world of difference. There is nothing better than feeling your lungs clear. Hypertonic Saline has improved my airways for the better and I am so thankful that there is something out there that works for me to help get that mucus out!!!
10. I am thankful for YOU!!! - You may be wondering what I am talking about but it reads how I meant it. For anyone out there who reads my blogs and enjoys reading my life I commend you! : ) For the people who read every blog post I am very appreciative. I know there are readers who read this blog every post but never leave me comments. But I love to hear what people are thinking when they read my posts. So if you are a consistent commenter on here thank you, I enjoy reading and responding to all of you. For those of you who have never commented drop me a line and let me know what your thoughts are.
Again, I love this CF blogger community and it has really opened up my eyes of how my fellow CFers live their life. Having this disease isn’t much fun but when you read and follow other people’s journey you know you are not alone. I have met through my blog some of the nicest people I have ever met who are similar to me in one way or another. I hope that one day we can all meet in person once this disease is cured!!!! We can have a “cure found” party. I know it is right around the corner!!
So I hope this post finds you all doing well and healthy. Hopefully you are/were enjoy thanksgiving with your families and have had the opportunity to take a minute and reflect on what you are blessed and thankful for!!!
Alayna's shirt reads "Thankful For Mommy"
I couldn't agree more Alayna!!!