Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Responsibility & My CF Responsibility

“In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.” -Eleanor Roosevelt

Here is the definition of responsibility from dictionary.com……………
the state or fact of being responsible, answerable, or accountable for something within one's power, control, or management.

There are so many individuals that are struggling with accepting personal responsibility in their life. Every day we get out of bed we have a personal responsibility for our self and also others. For instance, my responsibility is to try to give my best every day as a father, husband, son, friend, employee, CFer, and the list goes on. In order to be able to provide my best day in and day out I have to accept responsibility for my own actions. Every choice or decision I make is my own responsibility and that’s how life should be.

There will be people who blame others for their choices and decisions they make every day. When you blame others for what you are going through, you are denying personal responsibility. I find this unfair to blame anyone BUT yourself. If something isn’t right in your life and needs to change, you’re the only one who can make that change. Blame yourself and ultimately do something about it.

The path of anyone’s life is directly proportional to the strength of your choices. Everyone has a choice in life. To say you do not have a choice is to relinquish all responsibility and control you have over your life. This basically sums up you do not really care and you give up on life. If you give up you are throwing in the towel on life. NO ONE ELSE IS TO BLAME!

As a CFer, I have a personal responsibility for my health. Not only do I have a personal responsibility for my health, I have to put my health first because without it I cannot take on my other responsibilities as a husband, father, son, friend, and employee etc. That is why it is my responsibility to stay on top of my doctor appointments and treatments. If I am not feeling 100% I need to slow down and reevaluate what I need to be doing differently.

Ultimately, I am in charge of how much I put into my health every day I get out of bed. I have a choice to make if I am going to do my treatments or take a day off. If I am making that choice to not give 100% commitment to my treatments, then I only have myself to blame. There have been times and there will be times again when I do not feel like doing my airway treatments. I have come to understand that it’s not just me who will be hurting from my choices I make. My wife and I are counting on me to be around for our future as a husband and wife. WE still have many dreams and goals WE want to accomplish. The only way to be around to accomplish these dreams and goals is to put my best foot forward every day.  Also, our daughter needs to grow up knowing her father and that is one of my greatest responsibilities to be there for her. I plan to be there when she graduates high school, I plan to walk her down that aisle, and hopefully if she chooses to have children I will be there to be the grandpa to her child.  If I can do anything in my power to be there for her I will do it and that is the greatest responsibility I will ever have.These two girls in my life require me to give it my all in life. They will benefit from the responsibility I take on the decisions I make today as these decisions will be shaping our future.

How do you define your responsibility in your life?  We all have people or goals that can give us responsibility in life.  Responsibility comes in all forms in life so find something today that makes you want to be committed to your health.  We only have one shot at life and hopefully you are taking responsibility for this one shot. 

One’s philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes…and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility. – Eleanor Roosevelt




 
These two girls provide me with the determination every day to put my best foot forward!


1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this when you posted it and I was happy to read it again. Wise words my friend!!

    ReplyDelete